NewsCase StudiesEvents

Day to Day Living in Denmark


Day to Day Living in Denmark

Recent forum posts


  1. Global Online English school advertising

    Hi , I have an online English school based in the U.K. and Spain. I'm looking to grow my business.Where is the best place to advertise for students.

    Total Posts: 1 Last post by Teacher02

  2. Starting a new business in India

    I run a UK business and my fellow Director is an Indian National (I am a British citizen).We now want to launch our company in India and I am struggling to make any progress with the Indian High Commission. Can anyone help me with the process. I have twice visited the commission in London and wasted hours of time due to their complete lack of organisation.I will appreciate any help to make

    Total Posts: 10 Last post by samui

Day-to-day Living in Denmark


The best places to get a good idea of the availability of property to let or buy are in local newspapers and magazines as well as sites on the internet. This way, you will be able to see what type of property is available in each area and the difference in prices, thus helping you decide whether to rent or buy a property.

When renting an apartment you can go through a real estate agent or through a private landlord. You will usually have to pay a deposit as well as a 3 month advance payment on a rental property.

If you are looking to buy a house or an apartment, property real estate agents will provide you with all the information that you need. Property prices vary depending on the area.

In Denmark, a buyer usually takes a mortgage loan in a finance society, which will offer this in exchange for security in the property. Mortgages are granted for up to 80% of the value of the property with repayment in instalments up until 30 years.


Pensions are financed through taxes. The entitlement to pensions is not derived from previous income, but on the duration of residence in the country. One is entitled to full rate old-age pension when one is 65 years of age and has lived in Denmark for at least 40 years after the age of 15. If you have lived in Denmark for less than 40 years, your entitlement to a pension is 1/40 of the full rate pension for each year of residence in Denmark between the 15th and 65th year of your life.

Citizens from EU/EEA countries must meet certain obligations in order to be granted their pension. More information on this subject can be found on:


Significant investments have been made in improving transport links between many of the EU countries, making business and trade very accessible.

Denmark has highly developed infrastructure and a good public transport system which is efficient and well organised.

Many people use bicycles as a means of transportation as there are many good bicycle tracks in and around the towns. The car, however, is the predominant means of transportation as it is very easy to drive in Denmark due to the well maintained roads and motorways. It is important to note that Driver's licences issued within the EU/EEA are valid in Denmark.

Cost of living

There is a relatively high cost of living in Denmark. The price of accommodation, food, transport and entertainment is higher than many other European countries. However, wages are also relatively high and with many free services including education and healthcare, living in Denmark can be quite affordable.

Public holidays

January 1st:New Year's Day

Sunday before Easter Sunday:Palm Sunday

Thursday before Easter Sunday:Maundy Thursday

Friday before Easter Sunday:Good Friday

March/April:Easter Sunday

Day after Easter SundayEaster Monday

Forth Friday after Easter:General Prayer Day

Forty days after Easter:Ascension Day

Seven weeks after Easter:Whit Sunday

Seven weeks and one day after Easter:Whit Monday

June 5th:Constitution Day

December 24th:Christmas Eve

December 25th:First day of Christmas

December 26th:Second day of Christmas

Click here to Ask an Expert about Day to Day Living in Denmark

Organisations that can assist with Day to Day Living

    You are not logged in!

    Please login or register to ask our experts a question.

    Login now or register.