NewsCase StudiesEvents

Emigration and Visas in Iceland


Emigration and Visas in Iceland

Recent forum posts


  1. Starting a new business in India

    I run a UK business and my fellow Director is an Indian National (I am a British citizen).We now want to launch our company in India and I am struggling to make any progress with the Indian High Commission. Can anyone help me with the process. I have twice visited the commission in London and wasted hours of time due to their complete lack of organisation.I will appreciate any help to make

    Total Posts: 9 Last post by Mohammed020

  2. starting a business

    Hi There!I was looking to bring in a skincare range from America to sell in UK, what legal procedures do I need to abide by? ie. licensinglaws, testing etc

    Total Posts: 6 Last post by Jpm

Iceland Emigration

A citizen of an EEA country may stay and work in Iceland without a permit for up to 3 months, or up to 6 months if seeking employment in that time. To reside longer than 3 or 6 months in Iceland, you will need to obtain a residence/work permit from the Directorate of immigration. In order to obtain a residence/work permit, you will need to submit a completed application form and the following documentation:

  • Photocopy of passport/travel document
  • Icelandic ID-number (kennitala): EEA citizens need to apply for a national ID number from the National Registry
  • Confirmation of health insurance/E-certificate
  • Proof of financial support
  • Self employment documentation: (e.g. VSK (VAT) number), showing that you will be self-employed in Iceland. It is a stipulation that this is intended to be a permanent business/professional activity
  • Service: declaration in writing the period of time the you intend to provide the service. It is assumed that the main purpose of your stay is to provide service, that the service is provided with the purpose of making profit and that there is a time period that this service will be provided

The Directorate requires that all foreign documentation issued in languages other than English or one of the Scandinavian Languages, must be translated.

Icelandic ID Number

Before you can permanently live and work in Iceland, you will need to get a Personal ID number (kennitala) at the National Register of Persons where you will also register your Icelandic address.

Social security

Before moving to Iceland you should contact the social security agency or health insurance programme where you were insured in your home country prior to your arrival to Iceland to obtain an E-104 form. The form will ensure you health insurance coverage in Iceland immediately on residence in the country. When you arrive in Iceland you need to apply for a residence permit from the Directorate of Immigration and submit an E-104 certificate to the SSSI (State Social Security Institute). The SSSI then issues a certificate of health insurance. Those covered by social security are entitled to hospitalization, medical assistance, home nursing, x-ray exams, sickness benefits, physiotherapy, medications, dental treatment for children, injury insurance, invalidity pensions, old-age pensions, death grants and child pensions.

Tax Card

Once you have received your Icelandic ID number and received your work/residence permit, you can apply for a tax card.



Click here to Ask an Expert about Emigration and Visas in Iceland

Organisations that can assist with Emigration and Visas

You are not logged in!

Please login or register to ask our experts a question.

Login now or register.