NewsCase StudiesEvents

Emigration and Visas in South Africa

South Africa

Emigration and Visas in South Africa

South Africa related forum posts


  1. Selling my Franchise

    Hi My husband and I have franchised our travel business. How easy or difficult would it be to sell our UK franchise to South Africans? Is it very complicated in relation to the authorities? We will continue to live in the UK but are prepared to travel to South Africa whenever required. We are also hoping to communicate via the internet to keep in touc

    Total Posts: 8 Last post by ElizaSmith

  2. I need loan to expand my existing business in South Africa

    Hi Guys,I am looking to secure funding for my existing South African venture. Which is very successful and has huge potential to grow in to one of the prominent IT Distributon company for Southern Africa region. Please get in touch if you want to invest or fund in intrest.Thanks Samir Doshi

    Total Posts: 2 Last post by sandownpark

South Africa Emigration

If you are going to live and work in South Africa you will need a visa. But if you are a British passport holder you can visit for up to 90 days without needing a visa. A visit to South Africa would be a good idea, and then you can see which part of the country appeals to you. There are several ways to get a visa; two of them are discussed below:

A General Work Permit

This visa is valid for up to three years - but extensions can be made. It usually costs R1500 - R3000. You will also need the following things:

  • A repatriation deposit to the value of a single plane ticket
  • An employment contract, signed, with terms and conditions of employment
  • The employer must obtain a certification from a Chartered Accountant of the job description, the fact that the position exists, and that it will be filled by the applicant
  • Independent certification of the applicant' skills, qualification and experience
  • A statement from the employer explaining the correlation between the needs of the position and the skills/qualifications/experience of the applicant
  • Proof that short-listed candidates have been interviewed
  • A letter from the employer to show that they have attempted to find a South African citizen for the post, and why they were not suitable
  • Proof of an advertisement
  • A letter of approval from the Department of Labour

A Business Permit

This is for people who want to invest in, open, or own a business in South Africa. The permit is issued for 24 month at a time. It costs R1500 - R3000 each time.

As well as documentation relating to marriage, divorce, birth etc, you will need:

  • Proof of funds available
  • To register with a statutory body if applicable
  • To have a business track record to show entrepreneurial skill
  • Proof that the business contributes to a geographical spread of activity
  • Proof that 5 people will be employed

You must also have certification from a Chartered Accountant that two of the following have been met (one must be the capital):

  • Proof that the business is in one of the listed business sectors
  • The export potential of the business
  • A transfer of technology new to South Africa
  • A business track record
  • Contribution to a geographical spread of economic activity
  • Capitalisation requirement of R2.5 million

A business permit is issued for 24 months at a time and costs R1500 - R3000.

For more information contact the South African Department of Home Affairs or the local South African Consulate:

Click here to Ask an Expert about Emigration and Visas in South Africa

Organisations that can assist with Emigration and Visas

You are not logged in!

Please login or register to ask our experts a question.

Login now or register.