NewsCase StudiesEvents

Emigration and Visas in Cyprus


Emigration and Visas in Cyprus

Cyprus related forum posts


  1. starting a business

    hi can anyone tell me who are the best people to approach for information on starting a business up in cyprus. e.g. solicitor, estate agent. ect. i run a business here but want to start one from scratch in cyprus, in the leisure side of things. thanks charlie

    Total Posts: 6 Last post by aladjihassan

  2. Wholesale/Distribution to Private retailers, a question on "culture" of how business is conducted between them

    I am looking to distribute my own brand of Womenswear from Spain where I reside to carefully selected Boutiques & Clothing Shops in Cyprus. How is business conducted at a distributor/wholesale level to privately owned retail shops as far as finance & agreements are concerned? I will be visiting Cyprus early next year after making key appointments before my visit and would like information on t

    Total Posts: 1 Last post by mistry

Cyprus Emigration

Cyprus is a member of the EU, and therefore any EU/EEA citizens are permitted to work in the country. To enter the country, you will need to provide your passport or national identity card, and you have the freedom to look for a job within 90 days. You will need to apply for a temporary residence permit if you are looking to permanently remain in Cyprus, to live or work. If you are going to be working with a foreign company for a fixed period of time, the application can be organised by your employer.

To obtain a Temporary Residence Employment (TRE) permit, you will need to apply a month before the end of the 90 day period. You are required to provide the following documents in order to obtain a permit, but it is advisable to confirm these requirements with the appropriate Immigration Office, in case they have been updated:

  • Passport, which must be valid for at least a year
  • Four passport photographs
  • Birth certificate and, if applicable, marriage certificate
  • Evidence of income or proof you are able to support yourself financially, including bank statements from a Cyprus bank indicating your average balance. Your annual income should be around CY6,000 per person, plus around CY3,000 for each dependent
  • Proof of medical insurance cover (if not covered by Cypriot social insurance)
  • Proof of residence, (title deed or sale or rental contract)
  • A completed application form and fee of CY25 in cash
  • Copies of all the above documents
  • Separate copies of documents and application forms for any and all dependants

If you have been offered employment in Cyprus, you are required to submit evidence of this from your future employer or a certificate of employment which has been stamped by the Labour Department.

You can hire a lawyer or you can visit the relevant Immigration Office for the area in which you intend to live to obtain the application forms and also make an appointment for the issue of your permit. You must visit the Immigration Office several weeks in advance of your intended stay. You will need to give them your completed application form and the necessary documents in person at your appointment. You will be issued with an Alien's Registration Certificate (Form P74) and your TRE permit will be issued within six months. Although it is only valid for five years from the date of issue, it is usually renewable on request. After five years, you may apply for permanent residence.

Citizenship by Investment

Non- EU citizens

You will need a work permit and a visa to enter the country. The Ministry of Labour will only issue a work permit if they are certain that a Cypriot or an EU citizen isn't available for the job.

There are two types of permit: an Executive and a Non-executive. A work permit is usually valid for three months or a year. An Executive permit relates to company directors or managers of international companies who have company offices in Cyprus. A Non-executive work permit relates to managerial, professional, administrative, technical and clerical staff.

Click here to Ask an Expert about Emigration and Visas in Cyprus

Organisations that can assist with Emigration and Visas

You are not logged in!

Please login or register to ask our experts a question.

Login now or register.