NewsCase StudiesEvents

Emigration and Visas in Hungary


Emigration and Visas in Hungary

Recent forum posts


  1. Starting a new business in India

    I run a UK business and my fellow Director is an Indian National (I am a British citizen).We now want to launch our company in India and I am struggling to make any progress with the Indian High Commission. Can anyone help me with the process. I have twice visited the commission in London and wasted hours of time due to their complete lack of organisation.I will appreciate any help to make

    Total Posts: 11 Last post by ian101

  2. Global Online English school advertising

    Hi , I have an online English school based in the U.K. and Spain. I'm looking to grow my business.Where is the best place to advertise for students.

    Total Posts: 1 Last post by Teacher02

Hungary Emigration

Visas and work permits

Certain EU states have mutual agreements with Hungary, which permit these member states to freely enter the country and work there without having to obtain a work permit. The UK is included in this. If you also meet one of the following requirements, you do not need a work permit:

  • You are the spouse of a Hungarian national
  • If you have already worked in Hungary for at least one year for the same company in the same position

In order to become a permanent resident of Hungary, you will need to apply for a Registration Card, if you are an EU citizen. If you are not a member of an EU country, you must apply for a residence permit at the local foreigners' office before your visa expires.

Registration Card for EU citizens

You are able to obtain a Registration Card, as of 1st July 2007, which is issued for an unlimited period of time. You are not required to apply for a new card if you have a fixed status in the country (i.e. if you are studying or working). It is important to remember that only certain countries in the EU have a bilateral agreement with Hungary, so some countries will need to obtain a work permit and a residence permit.

You are required to provide proof of residence and employment and also your capability of providing for yourself and your family financially during your time in Hungary. You will be able to collect the card from the Immigration office. Your Address Card will be posted to you, but the Registration Card is only valid with your Address Card and Passport.

Immigration Card

You can apply for an Immigration Card if:

  • You have been living in Hungary continuously for a minimum of three years
  • You have not been away from Hungary for more than 90 days a year and you are living in Hungary at present
  • You are of Hungarian origin, or have/have had Hungarian relatives
  • You are married to a Hungarian citizen or a foreigner who holds a Hungarian immigration card (must have been married for at least 2 years)

The process of obtaining an Immigration card may take up to 6 months.

Click here to Ask an Expert about Emigration and Visas in Hungary

Organisations that can assist with Emigration and Visas

You are not logged in!

Please login or register to ask our experts a question.

Login now or register.