NewsCase StudiesEvents

Sales Tax In Italy: All You Need To Know About IVA

Also in the news...

Foreign Secretary travels to India to strengthen economic and tech ties, October 2021

Liz Truss announces technology and infrastructure tie-ups with India to boost both economies and help developing countries grow in a clean and sustainable way.

International Trade Week launched to support new exporters

Trade department support for exporters in week-long event taking place next month

Moving Abroad For Work: How To Manage Your Finances

Relocating to a new country to start a business or get an exciting new role is an exhilarating process, but you need to make sure that youíre fully prepared.

International Trade Secretary opens the Global Investment Summit

Secretary of State for International Trade, Anne-Marie Trevelyan, welcomes overseas investors and delegates to the Global Investment Summit in London.

Croatia: providing services and travelling for business

Guidance for UK businesses on rules for selling services to Croatia.

NicolÚ Bolla

NicolÚ Bolla

Italy Accounting Expert

> Ask me a question

Sales Tax In Italy: All You Need To Know About IVA

Back to News

The sales tax in Italy or VAT, is called IVA (Imposta sul valore aggiunto) and it is 22% of any taxable sales, including raw materials. All businesses must collect this Value Added Tax on behalf of the government, pay it quarterly or monthly (depending on the annual VAT turnover) and file the quarterly VAT return.

The VAT tax in Italy has been increased in the last years, and the government was planning to increase it to 23%. Check out also our essential guide on VAT for business owners.

Useful tips for tourists in Italy

Italy VAT refund: what you need to know If you visit Italy and you purchase items for a value over 175 € from a certain shop, you may be able to get a VAT refund once you come back to your country. You will need to:

  • Save the receipt for the goods you bought
  • Having your airplane or travel back tickets ready to show
  • Carry the items with you without giving them to a third person
  • Go to a Italyís VAT refund station (mostly located in airports, tourist points or travel hubs)
  • Fill an official form (here you can find a good sample)

In general, 175€ is the minimum purchase amount to request a tax refund, but it can vary according to the country you are bringing the items to. In many European Unionís countries this threshold is actually lower. If you do everything correctly you will receive a custom stamp for the items you purchased and you will get money at the refund station via cash and bank transfer.

Save the receipt with you When you purchase from a shop, restaurant, or any other business in Italy, keep the receipt with you for some time, especially if you are in a touristy city; the finance police (guardia di finanza) has the power to stop you and fine both you and the shop-owner if you do not have the receipt on you.

Useful tips for resident in Italy

There are different types of VATís rate in Italy.

  1. The standard rate is, as mentioned above 22% and it applies to most goods and services.
  2. A reduced 10% VAT rate applies to real estate maintenance services, electric power supplies for listed uses, and listed drug supplements.
  3. A further reduced 4% VAT rate is exclusive to certain foods, drinks and agricultural products.
  4. There are also specific supplies of goods and services exempted from VAT. These are the ones related to education, insurance services, specific financial services, supply or leasing of particular immovable property. Check Italian Presidential Decree n.633/72 for more info.

Paying VAT as a Business Owner

How to do it If you have a VAT registered business you must submit and pay VAT returns and VAT ledgers every quarter. In general, any individual or legal entity that sells goods or services in Italy is liable for VAT.

If you are a business legally established in Italy or a permanent establishment of a foreign business in Italy, then you must register for VAT purposes sending the Form AA7/10 to the Tax Office (Agenzia delle Entrate), within 30 days from the start of your activities.

Only if you are an individual occasionally selling an item or providing a service in Italy you fall outside of the scope of VAT and you do not need to worry about VAT registration.

Some categories are exempted from paying IVA such as the freelancer in Italy in the so called "regime forfetario" and the workers in "regime dei minimi agricolo".

Lastly, if you are non-resident, and you sell goods directly to consumer online, you should fill in the ANR/3 form in order to register for VAT purposes, and send it to the Agenzia In this case you should send through a courier:

  • a copy of your ID
  • a recent certification, released by your national Chamber of Commerce, demonstrating that you are a taxable person for Vat purposes in your Country. It should be included as well the name of the legal representative
  • The foreign country VAT number
  • a self-declaration about the business activities that you do in your Country and the business activity that you will perform in Italy.

This will allow you to register on the Tax Office website, so that you could get the credentials needed to submit your VAT and send your payments online.

When do you pay VAT taxes?

The VAT payment deadlines are listed below:

  • 1st quarter due on/before May 16th
  • nd quarter due on/before August 16th
  • 3rd quarter due on/before November 16th
  • 4th quarter due on/before March 16th (of the following year)

Be aware that if the annual turnovers of your company, which sells goods and services exceeds € 700,000 or € 400,000 in case you provide only services you should declare and pay your VAT tax monthly.

Are there other sales taxes due? For more info, and according to your legal status there may be other taxes due. These could vary also according to the products or services you are planning to sell in Italy or on the amount of income you are generating. Remember that international operations are VAT excluded. However, if the sales is done within the EU, you have to file the INTRASTAT model.

You are not logged in!

Please login or register to ask our experts a question.

Login now or register.