NewsCase StudiesEvents

Dutch Partnership (CV) Income Taxation

Also in the news...

Import firewood into England, Scotland or Wales

Find out how to import firewood, such as logs and kindling, into England, Scotland and Wales (Great Britain).

How to check if you can delay customs payments and declarations

If you’re a business that currently buys goods from or sells goods to countries outside the UK, or are planning to trade with Europe from January 2021, HMRC’s new tool can help you identify ways you might be able to make the customs process easier for cheaper for your business. This short video shows you how to use the tool.

How can a customs intermediary or agent help me?

If you’re a UK business thinking about moving goods into or out of the UK , this video is here to help you understand how customs intermediaries or agents can help you. For more information have a look at the guidance available on

What are commodity codes?

If you're buying or selling goods abroad, you need to work out the amount of duty or VAT you owe. This short video tells you how to find out the ‘commodity code’ classification for your goods, using our Trade Tariff tool. Find out more on GOV.UK

What are controlled goods?

You’ll need a licence to import or export certain types of controlled goods. You may also need to pay extra duty in the UK. Unsure if this applies to your goods? This short video explains more about the types of goods that are classed as controlled. Find out more on GOV.UK

Dutch Partnership (CV) Income Taxation

Back to News

There are various forms of partnerships in the Netherlands.

The most common forms of partnerships are:

The private unlimited partnership (in Dutch: “Maatschap”);
The collective unlimited partnership (in Dutch: “Vennootschap onder firma” or “VOF”);
The limited partnership (in Dutch: “Commanditaire Vennootschap” or “CV”)

The partnerships referred to above, have the mutual characteristic that they do not have legal personality, meaning that they cannot themselves enter into agreements or own assets. The VOF and the CV can however under Dutch law have an equity separated from their owners.

For the levy of Dutch income tax, the VOF and the Maatschap are always treated as tax transparent entities. This implies that each partner is taxed for his/her share in the income of the partnership as if it was earned directly and each partner should report this income in his/her own annual income tax return as income from an entrepreneurshipin Box 1.

A CV has per definition partners with limited liability (the Limited Partners), but also partners with unlimited liability (the General Partners).

For the General Partner the CV is always considered tax transparent, meaning that for the levy of income tax the general partner is in essence treated the same way as partners in a Maatschap or VOF: each partner is taxed for his/her share in the income of the partnership as if it was earned directly.

The tax status of the Limited Partners is dependent on the tax status of the CV.

Open and Closed Limited Partnerships (CV)

From a tax perspective two forms of CV’s must be distinguished: the CV whereby the partners can freely transfer/exit/entry without consent of all partners (a so-called “Open CV”) and the CV whereby this is not the case (a so-called “Closed CV”).

For the Limited Partner, the participation in an Open CV resembles the participation in a Corporation, and therefore the Limited Partner is taxed the same way as shareholders in a corporation would be taxed.

The Open CV itself is subject to Dutch corporate income tax for the income allocable to the Limited partners. The income of a Limited Partner in an Open CV is in most cases taxed asincome from substantial shareholding(Box 2) orincome from saving and investments(Box 3) unless special circumstances apply.

The Limited Partner in a Closed CV is treated similar as the General partner: for the levy of income tax they are basically treated the same way as partners in a Maatschap or VOF: each partner is taxed for his/her share in the income of the partnership as if it was earned directly, unless special circumstances apply.

Article supplied by TBA & Associates

You are not logged in!

Please login or register to ask our experts a question.

Login now or register.