Also in the news...
The UK has introduced a points-based immigration system.
Find out what you need to do to prepare for making declarations on the Customs Declaration Service.
If youíre setting up a new online business, having a user-friendly website and sound SEO strategy thatís tailored to your target market is important. And if youíre targeting British consumers, there are a few SEO boxes you can tick to ensure you rank well on UK-based searches and drive the right traffic back to your website.
Find out whether you're established in the UK for customs purposes.
What UK goods vehicle operators need to do to carry out international road haulage.
Doing business in the Dominican Republic
Dominican Republic export overview
The Dominican Republic has the largest economy in the Caribbean and central American region. It has a Gross Domestic Product ( GDP) of USD61.3 billion. Itís a developing country primarily dependent on agriculture, trade, tourism and services.
The countryís strategic geographic position, ports and airports allow easy access to the United States, Latin America and the Caribbean.
UK companies operating in the Dominican Republic include AEI Energy, BT, Aggreko International, Bupa International, Diageo, Ernst & Young, Pinewood Studios and Unilever.
Benefits for British businesses exporting to the Dominican Republic include:
- low wage costs
- English widely spoken as a business language
- strong legal framework
- direct flights from UK to Punta Cana and routes via Paris, Madrid or the US into Santo Domingo
- free trade agreement with the European Union ( EU)
- no exchange controls
- open economy with strong appetite for imported goods and technology
- stable political environment
- currency stability
- modern transportation infrastructure
- advanced and reliable telecommunications infrastructure