NewsCase StudiesEvents

UK Spain Double Taxation Treaty

Also in the news...

Registration of Title to Land at Abuja Geographic Information System, Nigeria

The Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Abuja, Nigeria’s capital is gradually becoming a renowned city in Africa. In recent times, there has been an influx of people into the city and its real estate development and construction sectors are developing at a tremendous pace.


Looking to set up your UAE company? How about a visa for life? It might sound too good to be true, but it’s a reality. And the offer ends October 31st.

4 Red Flags You Should Watch Out for When Hiring a Web Design Team

If you want to build traction for your startup, you need to invest in a high-quality website. You also can't afford to make too many mistakes, because a good website costs money.

UK showcases green dozen at Global Investment Summit

The Government reveals the 12 businesses from across the UK who will showcase their green technology and innovations at the Global Investment Summit.

Effective Approaches To Improve Fleet Efficiency For Your Business

Various types of businesses need a fleet, from car rental companies and public utilities to distribution centers, courier companies, and so many others. So, there are tons of enterprises out there that are constantly searching for better ways to enhance fleet efficiency, as any business that utilizes a fleet can ultimately enhance its bottom line if heightened efficiency is achieved.

UK Spain Double Taxation Treaty

Back to News

The UK Spain Double Taxation Treaty was updated in March 2013 with changes effective from 12 June 2014

The treaty ensures that tax is not paid twice on the same income.

The treaty covers the following items:

In Spain

  • Income Tax
  • Corporation Tax
  • Non-resident Income Tax
  • Capital Gains Tax
  • Local Income Taxes

In the UK

  • Income Tax
  • Corporation Tax
  • Capital Gains Tax

Where am I deemed resident?

The treaty outlines what is considered to be a resident. This issue is often a source of confusion and misinterpretation.

The treaty considers that a resident is a person/entity who is liable to taxation due to:

  • Domicile
  • Residence
  • Place of Management
  • Place of Incorporation

A person/entity who is based in one state but receives income or capital gains from a source in the other state, will not automatically be considered resident.

If there is a situation whereby a person/entity could be classed as being resident in both states, then the status will be determined by:

  1. location of permanent residence. If there is a residence in both states, the centre of vital interestsshall apply (personal relations, economic situation)
  2. if the above cannot be determined, or there is no permanent address in either state, residency will apply to the estate where there is an habitual abode.
  3. if there is an habitual abode in either both or neither state, the nationality of the person/entity will take precedence.
  4. if the person/entity is a national of both or neither state, then the states will reach an agreement to determine residence.

Our English speaking accountants are available to discuss your circumstances.

You may be considering relocating to Spain or your company may be exploring the option of employing staff to enter the Spanish market, please don´t hesitate to contact us today for a no obligation consultation.

Article supplied by Gascón Bernabéu Abogados

You are not logged in!

Please login or register to ask our experts a question.

Login now or register.