Also in the news...
Find out how to import firewood, such as logs and kindling, into England, Scotland and Wales (Great Britain).
If you’re a business that currently buys goods from or sells goods to countries outside the UK, or are planning to trade with Europe from January 2021, HMRC’s new tool can help you identify ways you might be able to make the customs process easier for cheaper for your business. This short video shows you how to use the tool.
If you’re a UK business thinking about moving goods into or out of the UK , this video is here to help you understand how customs intermediaries or agents can help you. For more information have a look at the guidance available on gov.uk.
If you're buying or selling goods abroad, you need to work out the amount of duty or VAT you owe. This short video tells you how to find out the ‘commodity code’ classification for your goods, using our Trade Tariff tool. Find out more on GOV.UK
You’ll need a licence to import or export certain types of controlled goods. You may also need to pay extra duty in the UK. Unsure if this applies to your goods? This short video explains more about the types of goods that are classed as controlled. Find out more on GOV.UK
UK-AIS COMMERCIAL DEALS
A summary of 27 commercial deals worth over £6.5bn from across the African markets invited to the UK-Africa Investment Summit
We are announcing 27 deals worth over £6.5bn from across the African markets invited to this Summit and we are aware of further UK commercial investment into Africa that will be committed at the Summit.
The diverse and fast-growing economies of Africa offer huge potential to UK business. Over £36 billion worth of trade is already happening between the UK and Africa. The deals today show how we are building on that to secure a lasting commercial partnership of mutual benefit. The UK’s world-leading expertise on finance, technology, innovation, and our commitment to clean growth make the UK and Africa natural partners for prosperity.
Deals between UK companies and their African partners include:
- Aggreko signed an £80m contact extension for energy provision in Cote D’Ivoire
- Airbus sold £80m of aircraft in Egypt
- Anglo-Tunisian Oil and Gas invest £26m in Tunisian gas assets.
- Aqua Africa win £26m export contract to supply solar powered water filtration systems in Ghana.
- Baker Hughes £306m export and investment of deep-sea equipment and scholarships in Mozambique
- BHM £80.3m work on the Tema-Aflao Road Project in Ghana.
- Bombardier’s £3,180m construction and operation of 2 monorail lines in Cairo.
- Contracta Construction UK win £120.5m export contract to upgrade Kumasi teaching hospital in Ghana.
- Contracta Construction UK win £40m export contract to develop Kumasi airport in Ghana.
- Diageo invest £167m to improved sustainability of breweries in Kenya & East Africa.
- Globeleq invest £50m to help build of Malindi photovoltaic solar park in Kenya.
- GSK invest £5m in Egypt to upgrade two production lines.
- Kefi Minerals invest £224m in a new gold mine and to develop local infrastructure in Kenya.
- Lagan Group win a £185 export contract for the construction of Kampala Industrial Business Park in Uganda.
- Lloyds Register invest £0.76m to set up operations in Mozambique.
- Low Energy Designs win an export contract to install street lighting for Oyo state in Nigeria.
- Matalan invest £25m to open 13 new outlets in Egypt.
- Moy Park to export £12m of frozen chicken to Angola.
- Nexus Green export £80m of solar powered water pumping systems for irrigation in Uganda.
- NMS Infrastructure invest £222m in the construction of 6 hospitals in Côte D’Ivoire.
- Rolls Royce purchase £50m of aircraft engines in Egypt.
- Savannah invest £315m in the acquisition and investment of ingas assets in Nigeria.
- Tex ATC install 5 Airport control room towers worth £2m in Nigeria.
- Trilliant install £5m of Smart Metering to Abuja DisCo In Nigeria.
- Tullow invest £1,200m in continued oil production in Kenya.
- Tyllium and Ellipse win an export contract worth £60m to provide 250 new beds for a general hospital in Koforidua in Ghana.
- Unatrac win a £1.5m export contract to supply machinery for Ugandan roads.