NewsCase StudiesEvents

Sweden: providing services and travelling for business

Also in the news...

Joint outcome statement: India-UK round five FTA negotiations

Round five of negotiations for a free trade agreement between the Republic of India and the United Kingdom

Customs declaration completion requirements the UK

Use this guide as a supplement when using the CHIEF and CDS trade tariffs to import and export goods to and from Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) after the end of the transition period.

What import and export restrictions apply due to sanctions for UK companies when trading with Russia.

Trading under sanctions with Russia

Confined establishments approved to export ungulates to the EU

Lists of confined establishments in Great Britain, Jersey and the Isle of Man approved to export or move ungulates to the EU and Northern Ireland.

Import VAT and Customs Duty on gifts

Find out about Import VAT and Customs Duty when you send gifts into the UK.

Sweden: providing services and travelling for business

Back to News

Guidance for UK businesses on rules for selling services to Sweden.

The authoritative source for Swedish market regulations is the Swedish government. This guidance links to official Swedish sources wherever possible.

Movement of goods and living in Sweden

The Swedish government has legislation that applies to:

  • the movement of people and goods between the 2 countries
  • British people living in Sweden
  • Swedish people living in the UK who return to Sweden

Trade and services regulations in Sweden

If you are a UK business providing services in Sweden, you need to follow regulations about:

  • getting an authorisation or a licence to provide a service
  • complying with local business regulations
  • EEA nationality requirements which could prevent you from providing services in some sectors

The Sweden e-government portal for service providers can help you to:

  • find out what you need to know about providing services in Sweden
  • understand local regulations
  • complete the relevant administrative procedures online

To find out if EEA nationality requirements apply to you, contact the appropriate competent authority.

VAT on sales of digital services

To use the UKís VAT Mini One Stop Shop (MOSS) to declare sales of digital services to EU consumers, businesses need to register for MOSS in an EU member state.

Ownership of companies registered in Sweden

If you have a UK business, you might face restrictions on your ability to own, manage or direct a company registered in Sweden.

If you are a UK legal professional who has investments in law firms in Sweden, you should contact the Swedish Bar Association for further information on the implications for your investment.

Business travel and entry requirements

Check our travel to Sweden for work guide for detailed information on:

  • types of visa and work permits available
  • exemptions that may apply to you or the activity

The Swedish Migration Agency and Swedish Work Environment Authority websites have more information about:

  • visas including intra-corporate transfers
  • work and residence permits
  • supporting documentation
  • other conditions

Social security payments for employees

Recognition of professional qualifications

To check what you need to do in Sweden, read our guidance on professional qualifications in the EEA and Switzerland.

If you need to take action to secure the recognition of your professional qualification in Sweden, these sources can help you:

  • Swedish NARIC, the information centre for the academic and professional recognition of qualifications
  • Sweden Point of Single Contact
  • UKNARIC, the national information centre for professional qualifications

UK statutory auditors working in Sweden

For UK statutory auditors, the Swedish Inspectorate of Auditors should be able to provide further information.

UK lawyers working in Sweden

If you are a UK-qualified lawyer working in Sweden, using a Swedish or UK professional title, you should contact the local Bar association in the region in which you are working or the Swedish Bar Association (site in Swedish) for specific advice.

Data transfer and GDPR

As part of the wider UK- EU Trade and Cooperation Agreement, the free flow of personal data from Sweden to the UK will continue after 1 January 2021 for no longer than 6 months, until adequacy decisions come into effect.

As a sensible precaution during this 6 month period, it is recommended that you work with organisations in Sweden who transfer personal data to you, to put in place alternative transfer mechanisms to safeguard against any interruption to the free flow of EU to UK personal data.

You are not logged in!

Please login or register to ask our experts a question.

Login now or register.