NewsCase StudiesEvents

Register as an overseas company

Also in the news...

Trade with the UK as a business based in the EU

If you run an EU-based business, check what your business needs to know to continue trading with the UK.

Safety and security requirements on imports and exports

Find out about new safety and security declarations that will apply from 1 October 2021 on goods leaving Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales).

How to open a company in the USA while maintaining residence in Italy

It is one of the best ways for the Italian citizen to manage their business. This corporate vehicle allows access to multiple advantages of an advanced jurisdiction such as the US and also manages to maintain a low tax rate with very manageable levels of accounting and bureaucracy.

UK-ASEAN Joint declaration

Joint Ministerial Declaration on Future Economic Cooperation between the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (UK).


These are exciting times for Dubai and the UAE. With the entire business world’s attention soon to turn to the Emirates with the delayed Expo 2020 kicking off in October (and continuing all the way through to the end of March next year) it’s never been a better time to be a UAE business owner

Register as an overseas company

Back to News

Overseas companies must register with Companies House if they set up a place of business in the UK.

Who must register

You must register if you set up a place of business in the UK or if you usually carry out business from somewhere in the UK.

Some types of company can’t register as an overseas company in the UK, including partnerships and unincorporated bodies - contact UK Trade & Investment if you need advice.

How to register

Within 1 month of opening for business, you must fill in form OS IN01 and send it to Companies House. The address is on the form along with what documents you need to send.

Changes to company details

You must tell Companies House within 21 days if your company details change. This includes:

  • name
  • address
  • what the business does
  • details of directors, secretaries or people authorised to represent the company
  • company information, eg accounting requirements or the powers of directors or secretaries
  • company constitution (one of the documents made when you form the company)

For help, contact Companies House.

Companies House contact centre
Telephone: 0303 1234 500
Find out about call charges

Filing accounts

You may need to file your company accounts and tax return with Companies House and HMRC. You only need to do this if you’re required to file accounts in your home country. You’ll usually need to do this within 3 months of the deadline for filing your accounts in your home country.

If you don’t file accounts on time, you could be prosecuted.

When you file your accounts with Companies House, you should also include a statement saying:

Help from UK Trade & Investment

Overseas companies looking to set up business in the UK can get help from UK Trade & Investment (UKTI). They can provide information about how business works in the UK and analysis of market opportunities, as well as access to business and academic networks.

UK Trade & Investment enquiry line
Telephone: 020 7215 5000
Find out about call charges

Setting up in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland

If you’re looking to set up business in Scotland, you can get help from Scottish Development International (SDI).

Scottish Development International enquiry line
Telephone: 0800 917 9534
Find out about call charges

You can also get help with setting up in:

You are not logged in!

Please login or register to ask our experts a question.

Login now or register.