NewsCase StudiesEvents

Norway: providing services and travelling for business

Also in the news...

Trade with Japan

How you import from and export to Japan. 

New Year Company Setup Specials from Charterhouse Lombard

Looking for a new start this year? At Charterhouse Lombard we put together the best offers from free zones around the country to find the right match for you.

Trade advisory groups (TAGs)

The groups were established in July 2020 to meet the requirements of the Department for International Trade’s (DIT) trade negotiations.

Customs Declaration Service: service availability and issues

Check the availability and any issues affecting the Customs Declaration Services.

UK Tradeshow Programme documents

Specification of requirements and grant funding agreements for exhibitors in Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Norway: providing services and travelling for business

Back to News

Guidance for UK businesses on rules for selling services to Norway.

Trade and services regulations in Norway

If you’re a UK business providing services in Norway, you’ll need to follow Norwegian regulations, including those concerning residency, nationality or authorisation requirements, as set out in Annexes XVI and XVII of the UK-Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein Free Trade Agreement (“FTA”), which will enter into effect as between Norway and the UKon 1 December 2021.

Where there are no additional restrictions as listed in the FTA annexes, service suppliers will still have to follow all local regulations. You will need to know about:

  • getting an authorisation or a licence to provide a service
  • complying with local business regulations
  • EEA nationality requirements which could prevent you from providing services in some sectors

The Norwegian e-government portal for service providers can help you to:

  • check what you need to know about providing services in Norway
  • understand local regulations
  • complete the relevant administrative procedures online

Consider appointing an English-speaking lawyer in Norway to help you comply with specific regulations.

To check if EEA nationality requirements apply to you, contact the appropriate competent authority.

Ownership of companies registered in Norway

If you have a UK business, you might face restrictions on your ability to own, manage or direct a registered company in Norway or any other EEA country.

If you’re a UK legal professional who has investments in law firms in Norway, you should contact the Norwegian Bar Association for further information.

If you are a UK-qualified lawyer (solicitor, barrister or advocate), the UK-Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein FTA gives you the right to establish a branch in Norway and practice UK(all jurisdictions) and international law, using your UK professional title.

This is subject to the conditions set out under section 3.2 of the Investment Liberalisation chapter of the FTA.

Business travel and entry requirements

UK business travellers and service providers may need a visa, work permit or other documentation.

Check our travel to Norway for work guide for detailed information on:

  • types of visa and work permit routes available
  • exemptions that may apply to you or the activity you are planning to undertake

The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration website has more information about:

  • visas including intra-corporate transfers
  • work and residence permits
  • supporting documentation
  • other conditions

Social security payments for employees

Check if you need to pay National Insurance in the UK or social security contributions in Norway.

Recognition of professional qualifications

To check what you need to do to have your professional qualification recognised in Norway, read our guidance on professional qualifications in the EEA and Switzerland.

You need to have your UK professional qualification officially recognised if you want to work in a profession that is regulated in Norway. It needs to be recognised by the appropriate regulator for your profession in each country where you intend to work. You need to do this even if you’re providing temporary or occasional professional services.

If you need to take action to secure the recognition of your professional qualification in Norway, these sources can help you:

  • Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education, the information centre for the recognition of professional qualifications
  • the Norwegian point of single contact

The UK Centre for Professional Qualifications ( UKCPQ) provides practical assistance and advice to:

  • professionals who qualified overseas and are interested in working in the UK
  • UK professionals seeking to practise overseas

UK statutory auditors working in Norway

For UK statutory auditors, the Financial Supervisory Authority of Norway should be able to provide further information.

UK lawyers working in Norway

If you’re a UK-qualified lawyer working in Norway, under a Norwegian professional title or started the process of transferring into the profession before 1 January 2021, you can continue to practise in Norway, subject to the local regulatory rules.

If you’re a UK-qualified lawyer working in Norway, under a UK professional title, the UK-Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein FTA gives you the right to advise clients in Norway on UK(all jurisdictions) and international law.

You should contact the local Bar association or the Norwegian Bar Association for specific advice.

Read more here

You are not logged in!

Please login or register to ask our experts a question.

Login now or register.