NewsCase StudiesEvents

Moving goods through customs during the coronavirus (COVID-19)

Also in the news...

UK Tradeshow Programme documents

Specification of requirements and grant funding agreements for exhibitors in Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

'Golden opportunity' for Scotch whisky as UK launches India talks

A free trade deal between the UK and India could bring huge benefits for Scotch whisky producers, as the UK Government looks to cut tariffs of up to 150%.

Overseas Business Risk - Belgium

Information on key security and political risks which UK businesses may face when operating in Belgium.

Customs declaration completion requirements for Great Britain

Use this guide as a supplement when using the CHIEF and CDS trade tariffs to import and export goods to and from Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) after the end of the transition period.

When we select your goods for inland pre-clearance checks

Find out how inland pre-clearance checks affect you and what you need to do when we carry out checks on your goods.

Moving goods through customs during the coronavirus (COVID-19)

Back to News

Border functions and social distancing To help stop the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19), we have temporarily changed customs border processes. This includes transit and export procedures. This guidance will be updated when this change ends.

Exchanging transit and export documents

Traders, their agents and Border Force staff should exchange documents electronically. This can be by:

  • email
  • fax
  • digital photograph

The information must be legible. You do not need to print documents received in an electronic format.

Documents required by customs officials in EU member states must travel with the goods as a hard copy. These include:

  • Transit Accompanying Documents
  • proof of union status
  • Carnet documents

You should get documents requiring a wet stamp in the usual way, unless you have agreed alternate procedures.

You must provide hard copies of licenses and other documents to the appropriate importer or exporter, by post if necessary. These should be retained in the normal way.

Export Approvals

Traders may apply for permission to extend that authorisation to additional locations, if they are authorised to use:

  • Designated Export Places
  • Customs Supervised Exports
  • Local Clearance Procedures

This will allow you to request ‘permission to progress’ without first needing the goods to be located at the premises set out in your approval.

Read more here

You are not logged in!

Please login or register to ask our experts a question.

Login now or register.