NewsCase StudiesEvents

In a Post Brexit world…

Also in the news...

7 Steps to Starting a Successful Business in College

Many students consider starting a business in college, inspired by the paths of successful people and the many opportunities available. Although various nuances may prevent you from achieving this, results orientation and perseverance will allow you to move mountains.

7 Popular Gibraltar Startup Companies

Though small, Gibraltar is a burgeoning hub for innovative startups. This British Overseas Territory has become attractive for entrepreneurs due to its favourable tax laws and business-friendly environment. Here, we explore seven popular startups significantly impacting their respective industries.

How AI Fashion Models are Changing the Product Modelling Business

Artificial Intelligence (AI) is revolutionizing various sectors, and the fashion industry is no exception. AI fashion models and the utilization of AI-generated images to showcase products represent a futuristic trend blending technology with creativity. This article delves into how AI is transforming fashion presentations, the benefits of this innovation, and potential future developments.

Navigating Tech Challenges in Global Expansion - Solutions for Startups

When you're steering your startup towards international waters, the thrill of tapping into new markets is often mingled with the challenge of navigating tech hurdles. From ensuring seamless operation across time zones to adapting to local regulations, the tech aspect of global expansion can seem daunting.

Guidance Living in Egypt

Information for British citizens moving to or living in Egypt, including guidance on residency, healthcare and employment.

In a Post Brexit world…

Back to News

What will happen should the United Kingdom leave the EU without a deal for those that are currently registered for VAT in Europe as distance sellers? There are several potential hypotheses to this. They, are, for now only hypotheses but serve to give an indication of how you may prepare yourself for a “No deal” Brexit.

Let’s take an Amazon trader as an example. The trader is registered on the FBA (Fulfilment by Amazon) platform in six countries (France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Poland and Czech Republic). Currently, the trader has a UK Ltd company and is registered for VAT in the UK. This enables the trader to register the UK Ltd company for VAT around Europe. Third countries such as USA can register for VAT directly in a few countries in Europe but not all have agreements in place.

Post Brexit – if we leave without a deal – registering the UK company directly for VAT in the European Union may not be permissible as the UK could be construed as a third country (similar to the USA) and therefore the following may be required.

Option one would be to set up a company within the European Union and to register that company for VAT – the EU based company could then be registered for VAT in the additional countries that form part of the FBA platform. This leaves the trader in control of paying and submitting their VAT returns, EC Sales and Intrastat (if above threshold in country). Setting up a company in France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Poland or Czech Republic can be done but each has its differing requirements and processes including share capital and director requirements as well as timescales.

Alternatively, option two would be to hire the services of a fiscal representative that is based in the country in which the stock is held which will allow the trader to submit and pay the VAT returns locally. The issue with this option lies in the “control” element. The fiscal representative would be acting on behalf of the trader and paying on behalf of the trader. From a risk perspective, the fiscal representative may take VAT payments “on account” to ensure that these returns are paid for and that they are not left responsible for none-payment which may hinder cashflow for the trader. The trader has no control over the return and payment process and leaves the fiscal representative to do this on their behalf.

This is a choice that may need to be made sooner rather than later if we leave the EU on March 29th 2019.

You are not logged in!

Please login or register to ask our experts a question.

Login now or register.