Also in the news...
If you run an EU-based business, check what your business needs to know to continue trading with the UK.
Find out about new safety and security declarations that will apply from 1 October 2021 on goods leaving Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales).
It is one of the best ways for the Italian citizen to manage their business. This corporate vehicle allows access to multiple advantages of an advanced jurisdiction such as the US and also manages to maintain a low tax rate with very manageable levels of accounting and bureaucracy.
Joint Ministerial Declaration on Future Economic Cooperation between the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (UK).
These are exciting times for Dubai and the UAE. With the entire business world’s attention soon to turn to the Emirates with the delayed Expo 2020 kicking off in October (and continuing all the way through to the end of March next year) it’s never been a better time to be a UAE business owner
Do I need an export licence?
Which exports are controlled and therefore require a licence, how to apply and what compliance responsibilities you'll have.
Whether you are a new exporter investigating the possibility of exporting strategic goods, an overseas end-user, an academic or researcher affected by export controls or a non-governmental organisation or legal firm seeking more information, this guide will give you an overview of UK export controls.
Why export controls?
There are several reasons why governments aim to control the export of goods, depending on the nature and destinations of the proposed export. The export of strategic goods and technology is the specific remit of the Export Control Joint Unit (ECJU). Exports are controlled for various reasons, including:
- concerns about internal repression, regional instability or other human rights violations
- concerns about the development of weapons of mass destruction
- foreign policy and international treaty commitments including as a result of the imposition of EU or United Nations trade sanctions or arms embargoes
- national and collective security of the UK and its allies
Export controls are not unique to the UK. All countries should have some form of an export control policy, legislation and enforcement mechanisms. The UK has a well developed and coherent export control system based on EU and national legislation.
Do I need a licence?
Whether or not you need an export licence for your goods will be determined by 4 factors, the:
- nature of the goods due to be exported
- destination concerned
- ultimate end use of the goods
- licensability of trade activities
Nature of goods
The following checklist outlines the broad categories of goods which are likely to be controlled:
- most items that have been specially designed or modified for military use and their components
- dual-use items - those that can be used for civil or military purposes - which meet certain specified technical standards and some of their components
- associated technology and software
- goods that might be used for torture
- radioactive sources