Also in the news...
The UK has introduced a points-based immigration system.
Find out what you need to do to prepare for making declarations on the Customs Declaration Service.
If youíre setting up a new online business, having a user-friendly website and sound SEO strategy thatís tailored to your target market is important. And if youíre targeting British consumers, there are a few SEO boxes you can tick to ensure you rank well on UK-based searches and drive the right traffic back to your website.
Find out whether you're established in the UK for customs purposes.
What UK goods vehicle operators need to do to carry out international road haulage.
Channel Sales Doesnít Get You On A New Market
I often hear from companies that their initial market expansion strategy is channel sales (VAR, SI) but later they had to add direct sales because it didnít bring the expected results. Hereís my take on that.
- Channel partners can provide you with a much larger reach.
- You donít need to struggle with local talent acquisition, local management and cultural differences.
- Your upfront investments and initial costs are lower then setting up direct sales force.
- Channel partners are not good for complex solutions. They are ideal for high volume/low margin business but not vice versa.
- They usually on board too many new solutions but can only support few.
- Their reach stays within their known verticals, I havenít seen many channel partners actively reaching out to new verticals, industries or territories.
- You canít provide a realistic business plan for your investors because you donít get commitments from your channel partners.
- Channel partners are absolutely risk-averse; even if they say they will not invest their time and money into a new market if you cannot prove that thereís a bright light at the end of the tunnel.
ďA good channel partner can be a perfect fire accelerant but you need to have a flame first.Ē
If you have a complex low volume/high margin B2B product and want to enter a new market you have to start with direct sales. Do it on your own or get local support from a market expansion expert who bridges your gaps of talent acquisition and local management. Youíll learn fast about market specifics, be able to align your value proposition and close your first 2-4 reference sales.
After that you are in the position to engage the right channel partners and provide them with necessary sales tools like local references and sales messages to mitigate their risks and to overall achieve expected results.