NewsCase StudiesEvents

Catering Startups: Health & Safety Rules & Regulations

Also in the news...


These are exciting times for Dubai and the UAE. With the entire business world’s attention soon to turn to the Emirates with the delayed Expo 2020 kicking off in October (and continuing all the way through to the end of March next year) it’s never been a better time to be a UAE business owner

UK Shipping Concierge

The concierge service provides a one-stop shop to help maritime businesses interact with government departments.

Rail industry on track to win big in UK-Australia trade deal 

British rail companies are on track for a potential export boom thanks to the UK-Australia trade deal.

Trade with Mexico

How you import from and export to Mexico.

Business Recovery and Global Expansion

As more economies around the world open up and companies bring employees back to the office, global expansion plans that may have been put on hold last year are now taking shape. It can be challenging to know where to start, but here are some key factors to consider when expanding your operations into new countries.

Catering Startups: Health & Safety Rules & Regulations

Back to News

Following the ongoing British love affair with all things food related there are a large number of new catering companies starting up in the UK. Before these firms can begin to trade, though, it is important they understand hygiene and health and safety regulations – as detailed below.

Protecting you and your products

Hygiene is one of the most important aspects of the catering industry and protecting yourself and your food can be achieved by wearing disposable gloves as supplied by Brosch Direct. The cross contamination of raw meats and fish to cooked foods is one of the most common causes of food poisoning. Ensuring that this does not happen should be one of the first steps you take when setting up a food outlet.

Registering your business

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) gives a full checklist for starting a catering company. The codes of practice for food outlets were updated on the 7th April 2015 and the main changes included revised arrangements for the registration and inspection for mobile food establishments. Before you start trading it’s important that you and your staff are aware of the basic regulations. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) website covers all aspects of the requirements needed to set up and run a business.

Risk assessment

The management of risk assessment is mainly based on common sense, but this is not always as easy as it seems. You are not only trying to protect yourself and your staff, but also your customers. These standards will have to satisfy any inspections you may receive and also your insurance company. Many of the measures you’ll need to take will simply be cleaning up spillages as soon as they happen, or ensuring that items are not left lying around. You cannot remove all risks, but you can reduce the possibility of an accident.

Pest control

Keeping your premises clean and free from pests is not only a part of the health and safety regulations, but also a necessity. Vermin can carry dangerous bacteria and employing a pest controller will prevent the possibility of this ever happening. Cleaning all surfaces as you go will prevent grease build up and also stop any cross contamination.

Keep your staff informed

The safety of your kitchen can be made easier by using the correct labelling on containers and also by having the correct signage in place. Displaying fire exits and the presence of fire extinguishers will all help if the worst happens in your catering outlet. The appropriate emergency procedures in case of a gas leak or fire should be tested on a regular basis to make sure that everyone understands their role should anything go wrong.


Keeping food at the right temperature can mean the difference between good food and bad. Fridges should always be set at approximately 4 degrees centigrade and freezers should be at -18 centigrade. It is also important to make sure that hot food is also kept at the right temperature, especially if kept under warming lights. These will be tested if you get a visit from your local inspector.

You are not logged in!

Please login or register to ask our experts a question.

Login now or register.