NewsCase StudiesEvents

Carry out international road haulage

Also in the news...

Trade with Japan

How you import from and export to Japan. 

New Year Company Setup Specials from Charterhouse Lombard

Looking for a new start this year? At Charterhouse Lombard we put together the best offers from free zones around the country to find the right match for you.

Trade advisory groups (TAGs)

The groups were established in July 2020 to meet the requirements of the Department for International Trade’s (DIT) trade negotiations.

Customs Declaration Service: service availability and issues

Check the availability and any issues affecting the Customs Declaration Services.

UK Tradeshow Programme documents

Specification of requirements and grant funding agreements for exhibitors in Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Carry out international road haulage

Back to News

What UK goods vehicle operators need to do to carry out international road haulage.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) tests for journeys from England to France

For accompanied freight travelling from England to France, your driver must have the result of a negative test taken less than 72 hours earlier.

Free COVID-19 tests for HGV drivers are available at some haulier information and advice sites.

Apply for operator licences and permits

To transport goods internationally by road, you need either a:

  • standard international operator licence for Great Britain
  • standard international operator licence for Northern Ireland

You will need other licences and permits, depending on the countries you’re driving to or through.

Register your vehicle trailers

You must register these types of trailers before you drive to or through most EUcountries, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway:

  • commercial trailers weighing over 750kg
  • non-commercial trailers weighing over 3,500kg

Abnormal load trailers

You need a keeper’s certificate for an abnormal load trailer to use it abroad. Keep the certificate in the vehicle to show at border crossings.

Some countries measure abnormal loads differently from the UK. Check with each country you’re travelling through to find out if the load you’re transporting counts as abnormal there.

Get specialist vehicle approvals

You will need to get specialist vehicle approvals if you want to transport:

  • dangerous goods
  • perishable food
  • goods in a sealed load compartment for quicker border crossings

Get the right vehicle documents

Your driver will need to carry the right vehicle documents with them during international journeys. These include:

  • vehicle registration documents
  • vehicle and trailer insurance documents
  • GBstickers
  • vehicle operator licences and permits

Make sure your driver is eligible to drive abroad

Your driver will need to carry the right documents about themselves with them during international journeys. These include:

  • a valid UKdriving licence
  • a valid Driver Certificate of Professional Competence ( CPC) card
  • a valid passport
  • an international driving permit ( IDP) if they need one for the countries they’re travelling in
  • healthcare documents

Make sure you’re ready to import and export

You need to follow rules about import and export licences, getting an EORI number, classifying goods, getting your goods through customs, and keeping records.

Import goods into the UK: step by step.

Export goods from the UK: step by step.

Complete a road consignment (CMR) note

A road consignment (CMR) note is a standard contract used by companies who want to use a provider to transport goods internationally by road.

The CMR note confirms that the haulage company has received the goods and has a contract from the supplier to carry them.

You must have a CMR note on all international journeys if you’re carrying goods on a commercial basis.

The CMR note can be filled in by either:

  • you (the haulier)
  • the company sending the goods abroad
  • a freight forwarder

You will need 3 copies of a CMR note, including one:

  • for the supplier of the goods
  • for the eventual customer
  • to accompany the goods while they are being transported

Check an HGVis ready to cross the border (Kent Access Permit)

You must use the service to check an HGV is ready to cross the border if it’s travelling via the Port of Dover or Eurotunnel.

This will prove that the HGVhas the right EUimport and commodities documents for the goods it’s carrying before it crosses the Great Britain- EUborder.

You need to do this to get a ‘Kent Access Permit’ before the vehicle enters Kent.

Your driver is responsible for doing the check, but it can be done on their behalf by your transport manager.

Your driver can be fined £300 if you do not use the service to check an HGVis ready to cross the border when they travel via the Port of Dover or Eurotunnel, or if you provide a fraudulent declaration.

It’s optional to use the service for all other ports in Great Britain.

Follow Kent traffic management plans

There are measures to manage traffic flow in the event of disruption to Kent’s road network.

These measures are known as ‘Operation Brock’ and apply to HGVsover 7.5 tonnes if there’s severe disruption to services from the Port of Dover or Eurotunnel.

Customs and document checks away from ports

Inland border facilities are UK government sites where customs and document checks take place away from port locations.

The facilities act as a government office of departure (for outbound journeys) and a government office of destination (for inbound journeys). You can start and end journeys at the facilities when moving goods in and out of the UK.

Checks carried out at inland border facilities

These checks are carried out at the facilities:

  • Common Transit Convention (CTC), also known as Transit
  • ATA carnet
  • Transports Internationaux Routiers (TIR) carnet
  • Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora

You drivers may need to go to an inland border facility if they enter or plan to exit the UKvia Dover, Eurotunnel or Holyhead and need:

  • to start or end a CTC movement
  • CITES checks
  • an ATA carnet or TIR carnet stamped

Your drivers may also be directed to an inland border facility:

  • because they are not border-ready
  • for a document or physical inspection of their load

Tell HMRCthat you’re going to be attending an inland border facility

You should tell HMRC in advance that you’re attending an inland border facility because the goods you’re moving:

  • are going to an office of departure or office of destination (starting or ending a transit movement)
  • are covered by an ATA Carnet
  • need a CITES permit

This will help you get processed on site as quickly as possible.

Check local road rules

Some EUcountries limit the times and days when HGVscan be driven on public roads.

Contact the British Embassy in the country for advice on whether restrictions will apply to your route.

What to do if your vehicle is involved in a road accident

Your drivers should contact their insurance provider if they’re involved in a road accident in an EUcountry.

Any legal proceedings against either the responsible driver or the insurance provider of the vehicle need to be brought in the EUcountry, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway, depending on where the accident happened. You might have to make your claim in the local language.

You may not get compensation in some countries if the accident is caused by an uninsured driver or if the driver cannot be traced.

You are not logged in!

Please login or register to ask our experts a question.

Login now or register.