NewsCase StudiesEvents

Bringing commercial goods into Great Britain in your baggage

Also in the news...


These are exciting times for Dubai and the UAE. With the entire business world’s attention soon to turn to the Emirates with the delayed Expo 2020 kicking off in October (and continuing all the way through to the end of March next year) it’s never been a better time to be a UAE business owner

UK Shipping Concierge

The concierge service provides a one-stop shop to help maritime businesses interact with government departments.

Rail industry on track to win big in UK-Australia trade deal 

British rail companies are on track for a potential export boom thanks to the UK-Australia trade deal.

Trade with Mexico

How you import from and export to Mexico.

Business Recovery and Global Expansion

As more economies around the world open up and companies bring employees back to the office, global expansion plans that may have been put on hold last year are now taking shape. It can be challenging to know where to start, but here are some key factors to consider when expanding your operations into new countries.

Bringing commercial goods into Great Britain in your baggage

Back to News

Find out what you need to do when importing commercial goods into Great Britain in your accompanied baggage or small vehicle. 

Commercial goods also known as Merchandise in Baggage are goods (to sell or use in your business) where: 

  • a commercial transport operator does not carry them for you or you do not pay them to carry them for you

  • you’ve travelled to Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) carrying goods either in:

    • your accompanied baggage

    • a small vehicle that can carry up to no more than 9 people and weighing 3.5 tonnes or less

From 1 July 2021, you will need to submit a safety and security declaration to HMRC, if you are carrying your goods in a goods vehicle, such as a van, and the goods are either:

  • over a value of £1500
  • subject to excise duty or a restriction on import or export

You must declare all commercial goods. There is no duty free allowance for goods you are bringing in to sell or use in your business.

You do not need to make an import declaration if you’re bringing commercial goods in your baggage from Northern Ireland into Great Britain.

What you’ll need. Read more here

You are not logged in!

Please login or register to ask our experts a question.

Login now or register.