NewsCase StudiesEvents

Behind on your UK Tax Return Filings?

Also in the news...

Trade with the UK as a business based in the EU

If you run an EU-based business, check what your business needs to know to continue trading with the UK.

Safety and security requirements on imports and exports

Find out about new safety and security declarations that will apply from 1 October 2021 on goods leaving Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales).

How to open a company in the USA while maintaining residence in Italy

It is one of the best ways for the Italian citizen to manage their business. This corporate vehicle allows access to multiple advantages of an advanced jurisdiction such as the US and also manages to maintain a low tax rate with very manageable levels of accounting and bureaucracy.

UK-ASEAN Joint declaration

Joint Ministerial Declaration on Future Economic Cooperation between the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (UK).


These are exciting times for Dubai and the UAE. With the entire business world’s attention soon to turn to the Emirates with the delayed Expo 2020 kicking off in October (and continuing all the way through to the end of March next year) it’s never been a better time to be a UAE business owner

Behind on your UK Tax Return Filings?

Back to News

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) have launched a tax return ‘amnesty’ for those individuals who have been issued with a self assessment tax return or notice to complete a tax return for any year up to 2011/12 and have not completed the return(s).

HMRC are offering ‘the best terms available’ to those who come forward now and take part in the ‘My Tax Return Catch Up’.

Any individual that wishes to take part in this campaign must make an application, submit all outstanding returns and pay outstanding liabilities or claim any repayment that might be due by 15th October 2013.

Can I spread the payments?

HMRC have advised that they will look at spreading the payments where the taxpayer is unable to pay the liability in full. By taking part in the campaign, a taxpayer will increase their chances of paying reduced ‘behavioural based’ penalties.

How do I apply?

In order to apply for the campaign, individuals should ask their Tax Advisor to register and complete and return the HMRC ‘My Tax Return Catch Up Notification’ form.

The campaign does not apply to individuals that have not yet been issued with a tax return or where HMRC has already opened an investigation.

Any individual that has received but not yet filed their tax return for 2011/12 should also be aware that an additional £300 penalty and 5% surcharge on underpaid tax will apply from 1 August 2013.

If you would like to take advantage of this campaign or need assistance with bringing your tax affairs up to date, please contact Jonathan Boyfield below.

Jonathan Boyfield
Partner, Expatriate Tax

Direct Dial: +44 (0) 20 7430 5986

Fitzgerald and Law

You are not logged in!

Please login or register to ask our experts a question.

Login now or register.