NewsCase StudiesEvents

Startup Overseas Forums

New thread

Finding good factory to make my product?

#1 Jan 2 2009 2:36pm

Finding good factory to make my product?

Hi I am in the process of designing a product, which I would like to be made in China. How do I go about finding a good factory? Thanks.

Hi I am in the process of designing a product, which I would like to be made in China. How do I go about finding a good factory? Thanks.
Reply Reply with quote

#2 Jan 5 2009 9:41am

Re: Finding good factory to make my product?

You can do it the normal way, through property dealers, etc. There are a few websites which showcase factories available to rent or buy.

You can do it the normal way, through property dealers, etc. There are a few websites which showcase factories available to rent or buy.
Reply Reply with quote

#3 Jul 1 2009 2:38pm

Re: Finding good factory to make my product?

My guess is that you are looking for a manufacturer as opposed to finding a factory to buy and operate yourself
Having products manufactured in China can be very rewarding but there are problems. I guess the greatest worry for any Western company is IP protection. China has a bad reputation on this but things are improving and you can take measures that will help although it must be said these are not 100%
The second worry is quality assurance. The only way you del with this is by having someone on the ground who is making the checks. One area of concern is that the manufacturer does not try to cut corners with raw materials which can and has lead to some serious repercussions (think Mattel in 2008)
Many Chinese factories are interested in OEM business where they simply manufacture for an overseas company and there are many successful "partnerships" There is a great capability for producing high quality goods in China but getting the right partner requires work. We always advise actually visiting a numberof short listed potential suppliers. Flights to China are pretty cheap at the moment if you are prepared to go economy. The modest investment is worth making instead of simply looking on Made in China or Alibaba. You get access to hundreds of companies but how many of them are real ??
Adrian
adrian@anderenltd.com

My guess is that you are looking for a manufacturer as opposed to finding a factory to buy and operate yourself Having products manufactured in China can be very rewarding but there are problems. I guess the greatest worry for any Western company is IP protection. China has a bad reputation on this but things are improving and you can take measures that will help although it must be said these are not 100% The second worry is quality assurance. The only way you del with this is by having someone on the ground who is making the checks. One area of concern is that the manufacturer does not try to cut corners with raw materials which can and has lead to some serious repercussions (think Mattel in 2008) Many Chinese factories are interested in OEM business where they simply manufacture for an overseas company and there are many successful "partnerships" There is a great capability for producing high quality goods in China but getting the right partner requires work. We always advise actually visiting a numberof short listed potential suppliers. Flights to China are pretty cheap at the moment if you are prepared to go economy. The modest investment is worth making instead of simply looking on Made in China or Alibaba. You get access to hundreds of companies but how many of them are real ?? Adrian adrian@anderenltd.com
Reply Reply with quote

Post a reply

Please login to post a reply to this thread

You are not logged in!

Please login or register to ask our experts a question.

Login now or register.